Sunday, March 4, 2012

Homemade Yogurt

My little boy loves yogurt... he eats at least 1 thing a day so I decided that it was time to try and make my own. My mom had this recipe that she used to make so I decided to give it a go. It is a little more runny than the store bought yogurt but Adam does pretty good with it and we love it! I think it takes nice and creamy!

1 package unflavored gelatin
1 Tablespoon Sugar
3 cups water
4 cups (1 qt) milk
1 can evaporated milk
3 Tablespoons plain yogurt

Heat oven to 275

Mix together 1 package unflavored gelatin, 1 Tablespoon Sugar, and 1/4 cup water. Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Set Aside.

In a big pot mix together 4 cups of milk, 1 can evaporated milk, and 2 cups warm water. Add the gelatin mixture to the milk mixture. Add 3 Tablespoons plain yogurt and mix well.

Turn off the oven and put the pot in the oven until it sets up. When I did this I put it in overnight. My oven was actually cooling down a lot right before I went to bed so I turned it back on for just a minute to get it warm again. It still looked a little runny in the morning but it set up a little more once I put in separate containers and let it sit in the fridge.

Store in the fridge.

I separated my yogurt into 3 medium sized containers. Before we started to eat each one I added some vanilla, sugar, and frozen strawberries, thawed, cut up into small pieces.

Save 3 Tablespoons of yogurt as your starter for the next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment