Sunday, March 4, 2012

Honey Wheat Bread

I decided I wanted to make my own bread, but my husband doesn't like it too try. We tried a few recipes and this is the one we like that best. It came from allrecipes.com

2 Cups Warm Water
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tablespoon Dry Yeast
1 teaspoon Salt
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
5 cups All-Purpose Flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey and stir well. Mix in wheat flour, salt, and oil. Work in flour gradually.

Put on floured surface and kneed 10 to 15 minutes until dough in smooth and elastic. I try to keep my dough in my mixer for some of the kneeding but my mixer is really old and doesn't kneed very well so I always kneed by hand as well.

Place dough in well oiled bowl turning to coat the surface of the dough. Cover and let rise 45 minutes.

Punch dough down - shape 2 loaves and place in well greased 9x15 loaf pans. I cover them with a towel and let then raise until they are 1 to 1 1/2 inch above the pans.
Bake at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes... I even usually do a little longer because some of my bread has come out not quite cooked all the way through in the center.

To get a shiny crust brush top with butter or margarine once it comes out of the oven and then remove from pan to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment