Sunday, May 4, 2014

Fibromyalgia

Recently my husband was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  We had been experiencing all the systems for about 4 years and so it was nice to finally put them all together under one category and have an idea of how to get better.  This disease for us has these symptoms:  anxiety, depression, IBS ( irratiable bowel syndrome), muscle and body aches, insomnia....I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head.  In doing some basic research and trying to figure out how I could help my husband feel better I have latched on to the elimination diet.  The thing is many people with fibromyalgia are sensitive to food, but it is to all different kinds.  There isn't just a certain food that we can avoid and make things go away....we have to experiment and find which foods those are for Scott.

So today we are starting the elimination diet.  The idea is to stop eating many of the major foods that can cause allergies and then slowly reintroduce them into your body.  The main groups include gluten, dairy, sugar, corn, citrus.  From what I've read it takes 1 to 4 weeks to start feeling better and getting these foods out if your body.  If things improve during that time than you can assume that a food that you are eating is causing the problem.  Our family is going to go on most of this journey together but I probably won't be as strict as my husband and out son won't be taking out dairy.

Now this blog gets to be my diary for the next few weeks....at least I hope I can keep up with it.  I will record what we are eating and how we are feeling... At times you may want to skip over stuff, especially how we are feeling,  bit I need to keep a record and this seems like the place to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment